Position Title: Radio Program Director, YMCA Youth Peace Radio
Employer: YMCA of Liberia
Duty Station: Gbarnga, Bong County
Post Duration: 1 year, but renewable based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Supervisor: Station Manager, YMCA Peace Radio
Hours: FullTime (100% of time required)
Annual Salary: Based on experience and qualification for the assigned task
1.0 Background and Operational Context:
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization that has been in existence since 1881. YMCA programs are mainly geared towards developing young people in the areas of spirit, mind and body. To this target, the YMCA implements programs of youth leadership development, peace building and civic education, health promotion, livelihoods, entrepreneurship training, education and life skills, among others.
The YMCA Youth Peace Radio in Gbarnga got restarted in September 2020 as center part of the Civil Peace Service Program supported by Bread for the World. The station is the core part of our conflict-sensitive communication with communities in Bong County. We invest into guidance, organization, equipment and capacity building so that our young people become agents of change and form a new group of leaders in the media landscape of Bong County and the country in general.
The YMCA is seeking to recruit a competent and qualified Program Director/Assistant Station Manager for its Youth Peace Radio in Bong County. The Management team is formed by three positions one of which is the Program Director. As per our gender policy, this position requires a female professional to balance the management team and serve as a key person for our young females to encourage women participation. She will report directly to the Station Manager on the entire operations of the radio station. She will redesign and provide a youth peace radio program on a weekly basis, assist to manage the station’s operational efficiency, support the teambuilding process and provide guidance for young people. The Radio Station Program Director is also expected to collaborate closely with the News Director to invent strategic and sufficient programming.
The main actors are young people. The core topic is peacebuilding. Therefore, the program director should be highly committed to this approach. She is expected to provide expertise in radio journalism, interest in peacebuilding, and knowledge in conflict- and gender sensitivity, showing passion for empowering young people, guiding them without dominating them.
2.0 Job Description:
The Program Director will serve as the assistant team leader to the station manager and direct programming in accordance with the peacebuilding approach and in line with the youth-driven organization – YMCA. She supports activities of the radio station, supports resource mobilization, works closely with all stakeholders, and provides communications support for the implementation of YMCA’s activities in the Local Branch, linking the radio station with other YMCA activities in the branch.
3.0 Main Responsibilities of the Radio Program Director shall include the following:
- Manage the daily broadcast of the radio station and its upkeep
- Make sure that the station is on and off the air on time
- Approval to all programs and what goes on the radio for airing
- Commitment to a youth peace radio and willingness to work in partnership with young people
- Must evaluate all news content that is intended for airing, ensure to focus on peace-related topics
- Plays a vital part in creating the radio program together with young people and the station manager.
- Assists and supports station management to organize capacity building training, take charge of technical issues of the station.
- Reports to and works closely with the Station Manager and contributes to the reporting system of the CPS Team
- Perform other duties as required by the institution
- Create a safe space for young people to learn and develop agency in becoming peace journalists.
- Ensure quality control in programs and broadcast to reach more young people and community with credible and behavior change programs
- Manage staff/volunteers and create an enabling atmosphere for supervisees to properly function while maintaining oversigh
- 4.0Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or at least two years of service in the field of mass communications Diploma in Journalism, Mass communications or equivalent studies
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience working with community-based organizations, elders, youth, private sector entities, and other local entities.
- Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to work within a cross-cultural setting with tolerance and respect, and negotiate diplomatically,
- Ability to liaise closely with other staff and then provide leadership to on-the-air staff and work teams;
- Experience as an engaging and effective trainer
- Proactive and creative, get the job done spirit;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team under pressure and in difficult work environment
- Excellent written English and ability to write reports
5.0 Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
This position is located in Bong County, Gbarnga City, Liberia and reports to the Station Manager, YMCA Peace Radio.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, CV with names and contact information of 3 references (cell contact numbers and email address) as well as copies of relevant documents to ascertain education/qualification. The submission of the requested documents should be sent to:
The Recruitment Committee
C/O The Human Resource Section
YMCA of Liberia
126 Broad Street, Crown Hill
Applications can be dropped at the YMCA National Headquarters on Broad Street, The Gbarnga YMCA Youth Center on Ganta Highway, Gbarnga and can also be emailed to email@example.com
Deadline for application is the 21st of March, 2022 at close of official business. Late applications or Applications which do not meet the specified minimum requirements will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Only females are to apply for this position.